Hello, everyone. I have to say that I didn't think I could do it--I have gone from Tuesday at noon until what is after 8 o'clock on Saturday without being on the Internet. It's been a trying experience. I actually only got on the Internet now because I wanted to--as Eric Clapton said--ease my worried mind that things hadn't fallen apart at work. And then, guess what? The entire state network is unavailable. I don't know if that means that it actually is unavailable or if it isn't available in Mexico. In any event, I can't ease my worried mind. So instead, I thought I'd create an update on here because I paid $4 for 30 minutes of time.
Here's what I have gotten so far from my trip to Cancun: Apparently a lot of people in Mexico speak Spanish! I know! Who knew? It's been a real trial for us. I've also learned to speak very broken English because it's easier for people with limited English skills to understand. So "Excuse me, but could you tell me where I need to go to get to the Internet cafe that is mentioned in the welcome manual?" becomes "Hello. I need to use computer. Where do I go?" So if this entry seems a little choppy, that's why.
Quickly (because I only have a few minutes) here is what we've done in Cancun
Tuesday: We didn't get here until late. We had time to travel to the hotel and eat at the restaurant. I was thrown by the very high prices, until I realized that the American dollar sign and the Mexican peso sign are the same symbol. So when I thought our meal was 600 DOLLARS, I was relieved to find it was only 600 pesos, or a little less than 60 dollars (still a lot for the lousy food we got).
Wednesday: We hung around the hotel, swam in the pool, and went to the beach
Thursday: We went to a water park and swam with dolphins. I'll talk more about this in a later entry, but it was very cool being kissed by a dolphin, shaking hands with one, and getting pushed across 50 feet of water by a pair of dolphins pushing my feet with their snouts.
Friday: We went to an amusement park called Xcaret and swam in an underground river, saw Mayan ruins, and saw an outdoor show about Mayan culture. Again, I'll talk more when I have more time.
Saturday: Today we again just hung around the place. We plan to do the same tomorrow and then come home Monday. We've had a good time. The only real downside has been the fact that we are very near the disco center where there are literally a dozen discotheques, and they play music until 3 or 4 in the morning. After the first night we moved to the opposite side of the hotel, but it's still loud.
Anyway, I will post more later. I just wanted you all to know that we are alive!
No comments:
Post a Comment