Friday, October 1, 2010

Hidden Messages in Your Facebook Status

I spent four hours of the day yesterday talking with  8th grade students at Tichenor Middle School about social networking sites like Facebook.We were talking about the appropriate use of those sites in regards to school, but I also spent some time just talking with them about being careful what they post online, that sometimes your Facebook page says more than you intend. Afterward, it occurred to me that there are all kinds of hidden messages in Facebook statuses. Here are some examples:

Facebook Status: Having a great time at the beach. Can't believe I have to go back north Friday. (2 hours ago).
Hidden Message: No one's home at my house. Feel free to rob us.

Facebook Status: Fired up to watch The Office tonight. (37 minutes ago)
Hidden Message: I lead a really boring life.

Facebook Status: Hello? Is there anyone out there? (a few seconds ago)
Why has no one replied to my last status? (2 minutes ago)
What's your favorite thing about me? (7 minutes ago)
Feeling better. Maybe I was just hungry (12 minutes ago)
Why can't I ever get oatmeal off of the sides of my bowls? (15 minutes ago)
The oatmeal is eaten. (21 minutes ago)
I think oatmeal will be my breakfast of choice today. (26 minutes ago)
Anyone interested in going to lunch with me this PM? (33 minutes ago)
My face looks fat this morning (40 minutes ago)
Not feeling too good today. Wish it were spring again (42 minutes ago)
Hidden Message: Three possibilities--1) Unfriend me, 2) I'm addicted to Facebook, or 3) I'm REALLY self-obsessed.

Facebook Status: Center court third row at Rupp Arena, UK vs Florida (14 minutes ago)
Hidden Message: Hah! Loser! Comment on my post and tell me how jealous you are!

Facebook Status: If you believe that God is the Father of the Universe, and that we are all his children, and that LOVE is the most important thing on this planet, please make this your status and let everyone know where you stand. (about an hour ago)
Hidden Message: I have nothing original to say, so I'm going to waste your time with a "chain letter."

Facebook Status: TO ALL MY RELIGIOUS FRIENDS WHO ARE ASKING ME TO SAY I BELIEVE GOD IS THE FATHER OF THE UNIVERSE, I DO NOT BELIEVE IN GOD, AND I WISH YOU WOULD NOT WASTE MY TIME WITH SUCH RUBBISH! "THE TRULY ENLIGHTENED ARE THE ONES WHO BELIEVE THAT NONBELIEF IS THE KEY TO LIFE." --SOME OBSCURE ATHEIST (25 minutes ago)
Hidden Message: I'm kind of a jerk...

Facebook Status: I just found a great new product that will let you see exactly who's been viewing your Facebook profile, and that will pay you 10 cents for every visit to your profile. http://www.ssww.com/new/ (2 hours ago)
Hidden Message: My Facebook account has been hacked.

I could give more examples, but they'll have to wait for another post. I'm off now to update my own inane Facebook status...

No comments: