Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Here to Whine

I'm in Louisville today for a conference, which is taking place at the Louisville Marriott. It's a very nice hotel, probably the nicest hotel I've ever visited in downtown Louisville (minus the REALLY upscale hotel whose name escapes me at the moment and that I only visited the lobby of a few years ago). My favorite hotel in Louisville is the Hyatt, and I guess I've spent the most time at the Galt House, but this hotel feels newer, cleaner, and more upscale than either of them. It might just be my new favorite!

That said, my visit here brings up a complaint that I have with hotels in general: Why is it that the MORE upscale and expensive a hotel is, the MORE they charge you for every little service? If I stay at a Super 8 motel for $40 a night I get free parking, free Internet, and a free continental breakfast (albeit usually a nasty free breakfast). If I stay at a hotel like the Louisville Marriott, though, I'm charged $10-$20 for each of those. It makes a hotel room, which might not seem like a bad deal at $140 a night, turn out to be VERY expensive.

At least I wasn't charged to use the fitness room. The Galt House charges for that, too.

I didn't get much sleep last night. Can you tell?

No comments: