Wednesday, June 1, 2011

A Well Known Quote that Irritates Me...revisited

Way back in October of 2008 I wrote on this blog about how much I hate the phrase "That which does not kill me only makes me stronger" because IT ISN'T TRUE! The phrase bothers me so much, in fact, that I can barely listen to Kanye West's song "Stronger" (which was popular in the fall of 2008 and was the impetus for the original post). Every time I hear it, I want to shout back at the radio, "No, it DOESN'T!"

So I was very glad this weekend to hear a song from a band called Finger Eleven (a band I'd never heard of before) called "Whatever Doesn't Kill Me." The song's chorus echoes my feelings. The video for the song is below. Some additional quick thoughts:
  • As much as I like the chorus, I've listened to the song about 4 times now and still have NO idea what the verses are about. I used to think that just meant the song was "open to interpretation." A lot of REM songs are like that, too. I'm starting to believe, though, that it just means that the song writer is a terrible lyricist. 
  • I feel sorry for the band members when they filmed the video. They probably spent 14 hours a day for a couple of days in that room, staring at those stadium lights just a few feet away. The guys were probably blind by the end of the filming. I hope they had someone to drive them home that night as it probably took a couple of days for their night vision to recover. 
  • What's with the leaves and the people?

No comments: