In my last post I wrote about how social networking--and I guess I meant online access in general--is changing us as a people. Here's some more interesting information. Last night I started watching on Netflix via my Roku player (By the way, I have two of these things now) a two month old PBS special called Digital Nation. The show basically works from the same premise that I had in my post, that we are being changed as a people by our always online world. If you don't have Netflix, you can read more about it and watch the entire show online here.In addition, I just found an article on eschool news that says that college students who were denied technology for 24 hours began exhibiting symptoms similar to drug withdrawal. This suggests that access to technology is perhaps REALLY addictive.
All of this matters to me because yesterday--before I started watching the PBS show or read the article above--Lisa and I agreed that this next weekend, from Friday at 4 PM until Monday morning, we would once again have a "No Technology Weekend." The last time we did this we left off only the TV and computer. This weekend we're going to also turn off the cell phones and landline phone.
I'm actually kind of looking forward to unplugging, but I'm worried that we might begin to exhibit some of the symptoms described in the article above.
Anyway, I guess I'm writing to warn all of you. If you see on the news next week that one of us has murdered the other, you might want to point police to this blog entry, which will probably explain a lot.
No comments:
Post a Comment