Sunday, April 4, 2010

The Villages


I am typing this entry in the gorgeous Florida sun. It's Spring Break this week for both my school and my daughters' school, so we are spending the week with Lisa's father and step-mother. They live in a retirement community in central Florida called The Villages. It's HUGE place (It literally has its own zip code) just outside of Lady Lake, Florida, and it's the most bizarre community I've ever been in. Everyone in this community rides around in golf carts. Every home has a regular sized garage and a smaller garage right beside the regular one for a golf cart. Every road has a golf cart path that runs along beside it, and the grocery stores and Wal-Marts and everything else have golf cart parking spaces right beside the handicapped spaces.

I could tell you more about it, but you can read a lot more than I would ever take the time to write by visiting The Villages website, which you can access right here.

Prentiss and Myra's house sit on one of the golf courses, and I'm sitting on their back patio watching someone trying to hit the par 4 green which is a couple of doors down. Natalie and Meredith are picking the few grapefruit that are left from their grapefruit tree in their back yard.

I'm not sure what all we are going to do this week. I know we're going to relax, though. And it's supposed to be nice every day this week, sunny and in the mid 80's, which is very different from the only other time we've been here...

...Had to stop my story to say that the woman who was about 20 feet in front of me apparently missed the green. She screamed "Sh#t!" as loudly as she could and then pounded her club in the ground. I think she went into the water hazard because she dropped another ball and then hit it before getting in her cart and driving away. Oh well, Mark Twain said golf is "a good walk ruined."

...seven years ago when it was cloudy and in the 60's almost every day.

I'll write more later. For now, gotta go enjoy this sunshine.

No comments: