Okay, this may not be the coolest thing ever, but it's still pretty cool! My wife showed it to me yesterday, and I just had to share it!
Did you ever do a project in school where your teacher took a famous piece of art, broke it into sections on a grid, and then gave each section to one student to recreate? Once each student did his/her piece, the teacher assembled it all together into one piece. It usually looked bizarre, but it was still interesting.
Well, somebody came up with the idea to do the same thing with a movie. He took the original STAR WARS movie and "assigned" it to the general public in 15 second increments. He then assembled all of the parts into a single film. It's fascinating to watch. Here it is:
http://www.starwarsuncut.com/watch
I actually see instructional uses for this. When I was a teacher, I had students work on movie making in class. They'd brainstorm, write a script, storyboard the film, film it, edit it, and then share it. The problem is that the project would mushroom into something WAY too big. A good movie takes years to make, and that's when people work on it full time. Asking students to make a movie, even a ten minute movie, working an hour a day for four or five weeks is unrealistic. But broken up into pieces it might be possible. And the link above shows that it certainly is still entertaining, even if a little weird.

No comments:
Post a Comment