Thursday, April 21, 2011

A Long, long time ago...Last Friday

I caught myself this morning thinking, Remember the good ole days when life was easy...last Friday!

Last Friday night was one of the most pleasant nights I've had in a while. My older daughter was doing a school fundraiser and then spent the night with a friend (And no! Her absence is NOT what made it a nice evening! Her absence was the one thing wrong!). While she was gone, my wife, younger daughter, and I all went to York Stree Cafe, a place I think I'd been to once or twice before, but not for years. It's a great little restaurant with a lot of personality. We then went shopping, and came home. It wasn't much. Nice and simple and quiet.

Since then, life has been crazy:

Saturday: As mentioned in my previous post, our basement flooded. Read the previous post to hear about that.

Sunday: The day began at about 1:30 AM. I was awakened by the noise created by all of the fans and dehumidifiers in the basement. Worried about the carpet in the basement, I spent the next two hours taking every towel in the house and soaking as much water as I could out of the carpet. Keep in mind that we'd already done that Saturday morning, but the carpet was still wet enough--despite the fans, humidifiers, and Shop Vacs--that I soaked most of the towels again. I managed to go back to sleep for a couple of hours after that, but was back up later in the day, again working on the basement.

Monday: Exhausted from my lack of sleep since Friday night, I took a personal day from work. I used the time to decompress a little and then to try to prep the outside of the house for the next batch of rain that was supposed to begin late that evening.I cleaned the gutter, stacked unopened bags of mulch around the grassless part of the yard at the top of the driveway, and reached deep down into the drain and got out every bit of mud I could reach.  Later, I went to watch my younger daughter run a track meet. The meet ran from 5 o'clock until 9 o'clock in the evening.

Tuesday: Early Tuesday morning the heavy rains DID begin again, and I was up every hour checking the drain to see if it was okay. I actually went back to work that day, but the rains came down with such tremendous force that I soon went back home just in case the drain started to fill up again. That night we had a contractor come to the house to give us bids on various outdoor projects, most of which were designed in some way to help alleviate the flooding issue.

Wednesday: Another major batch of bad weather hit Wednesday evening. A tornado warning for our county forced us out of bed about 1:30 in the morning. We were back in bed about 2 AM, but I will say the straight line winds that came through were frightening. In fact, a couple of semis were blown over at a truck stop just a few miles down the interstate. I went to work again Wednesday, and had ANOTHER track meet. This one ran from 4 o'clock until a little after 8.

Thursday: Work all day, and then a jazz band concert tonight.
Publish Post
I long for the good ole days...

No comments: