Tuesday, May 17, 2011

They are a'coming...we hope

In my last blog post I made mention of the terrible weather that we've had this spring. It has been rainy, rainy, rainy, and rainy. Maybe I'm just bitter because my basement flooded thanks to all of the rain, but I don't think that's the only reason I'm down on the weather. EVERYONE I know is down on the weather, too. I really can't recall a spring as wet as this one.

In fact, it's come to this: Saturday my younger daughter ran in the Kentucky middle school state meet in Lexington. She ran in the very first event and in the next to last event, meaning that there were several long hours in between. And thanks to this spring, it was--OF COURSE!--raining. So my wife and I decided that as much as we loved watching the other kids in my daughter's school compete...well, we didn't love watching them compete THAT much, so we left and went to Fayette Mall to kill some time. While we there we walked into a shop that sold sunglasses, and I saw this sign:


That's the kind of spring we've been having. We need signs to remind us that the sun still exists!
---------------------
P.S. By the way, don't want to lose an opportunity to brag: My daughter's 3,200 meter relay team (The one that ran the first heat of the first race Saturday) finsihed 5th in the state, earning them a state medal. And though my daughter didn't get a medal in the 3,200 meter run, she DID beat the VARSITY school record by two seconds. Or--since the middle school finals is a sanctioned event--I guess I should say that she broke the OLD varsity school record by two seconds. She's now the proud owner of her high school's 3,200 meter run record...as a 6th grader. Can't wait to see what she can accomplish if she sticks with it!

No comments: