Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Ink

As a linguist, I find myself irritated by the phrase "getting inked" to describe getting a tatoo. I guess people say it because it sounds hip. Or maybe people say it because the idea of ink sounds more temporary than a permanent tatoo. Which might explain why no one says, "I'm thinking about getting permanently scarred!"

But "getting inked" just sounds dumb to me. We don't create a new phrase by turning a noun that is part of the activity into a verb. If we did,
  • Going to a hair stylist would be "getting scissored."
  • Going to a restaurant would be "getting linguined."
  • Having my tires changed would be "getting rubbered."

It's just a silly phrase. Especially if anyone over the age of--oh, say 25--says it.

2 comments:

Building The Willys said...

That young girl "getting inked" sure looks good. Now fast forward the clock 30 years and that arm will look like a water color caught in a rainstorm. Would that be called "getting sagged"?

Allyson said...

She could be getting sagged unless she Botoxed. Now I have to go Facebook my cousin...