Today as I drove past the Erlanger Fire Department building I noticed a sign in the window beside their entrance. It's a sign I've seen many times before on many different buildings. It says "Safe Place" and signifies that this is a place where children in crisis (runaways, abuse victims, etc.) can get help.
As I said, I've seen this sign many times before, but today was the first time that I ever actually LOOKED at the sign, and I have to say--it creeps me out. What is going ON in the picture?
I understand that the picture shows two figures--one white and one black--inside of a house. But I'm befuddled as to what it is that those two are doing. I only see four possibilities, and none of them seem to go along with the idea of a "safe place."
Possibility Number One: The White Guy is Jumping the Black Guy
When I first looked at the image, I assumed that what was happening was that the black figure was facing me and so was the white figure, and the white figure had snuck up on the black figure and grabbed him from behind! This isn't an image that I associate with a Safe Place. This is a kidnapping in progress!
Possibility Number Two: The Figures are Facing One Another
Since my first thought didn't seem to make much sense to me, I assumed that maybe I was seeing the figures wrong. Maybe the black figure in the front was FACING the white figure. That way the white guy wouldn't be sneaking up on him from behind. If that's the case, though, aren't the figures awfully close together? Is the white figure KISSING the black figuire? And why isn't the black figure returning the hug? Is the white guy forcing himself on the black guy? Again, not the sort of action I'd be excpecting from a business that's supposed to be a Safe Place. Maybe the sign should read "Pedophile Place"!
Possibility Number Three: The White Figure is Protecting the Black Figure
Since the second possibility didn't make much sense, either, I went back to assuming that both figures were facing front. If the larger white figure, presumably the adult, isn't attacking the black figure, presumably the child, then what is going on? Maybe, I thought, maybe the white figure is PROTECTING the black figure by wrapping his arms around him. If that's the case, though, why in the world is the black figure in FRONT of the white figure? It doesn't look like the white figure is protecting the black figure. It looks like he's using him as a shield!
Possibilitiy Number Four: The Black Figure is Protecting the White Figure
So maybe I'm seeing it wrong again. Maybe it's the black figure who's protecting the white figure. But why--if that's the case--is the white figure so much larger than the black figure? Is the child protecting the adult?
I don't know. Maybe someone reading this can explain the graphic in a way that makes sense! But I think that maybe there wasn't a lot of thought put into this sign.

No comments:
Post a Comment