Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Lost in Translation

This afternoon at work I received a shipment of a couple of digital camcorders that I used technology funds to purchase for the high school and middle school media centers. I had trouble getting a couple of things to work with the camcorders, though, so I did something I rarely do--I actually read the instructions! In this case, though, the instructions befuddled me more than just trying to wing it on my own. Here are some actual excerpts from the last page of the instruction manual (Errors are intended and are all the fault of the instruction manual).

Section X: Frequent Ask Question


Problem 1: The camera won't be turned on?
Solution: First, please to make sure the battery installs itself correctly. Take out the battery. Then, please to make sure if the battery has run out on you. Third, please to make sure if the SD card is inserted correctly....


...Problem 4: Blurred images are obtained by said device?
Solution: First, please to make sure the light is enough when taking photos or please to make sure the light is enough when taking videos or please to make sure the light is enough when using as a webcam. Second, when camera is attached to tripod, please to make sure to not use tripod.


Problem 5: Photos or videos or webcam can not be taken or photos or videos or webcam can not be used?
Solution: First, the memory may be no available space. Second, the SD card may be no available space, or the SD card may be locked so that the SD card may be no available record.

And here's one that--even as a technology person--I would be intimidated to try:

Problem 6: Interference or blurred images are obtained or occur when connected to computer?
Solution: Operate the camera in program mode after change to 50 HZ or 60 HZ or 85 HZ the camera frequency after battery is charged or full so that no save occurs when battery is not charged or empty.

And end users argue that technology is difficult!...

No comments: