Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Right There

Four months ago I posted a blog entry about my propensity to overuse the phrase "I'll figure it out." I mentioned how I was reluctant to use the phrase at all any more, and how ridiculous that was because quite often it was the RIGHT phrase to use. Four months later, I can say that I've quit trying to avoid the usage of that phrase. When it fits, it fits, and I use it. Also, I've focused my attention on another phrase that I misuse often in my speech, and unlike the above phrase, this one really is something that I need to stop using.

The phrase is "right there."

There's nothing wrong with saying "right there" when a person is referring to something that is...well...right there. As in, "Could you hand me the remote control that's right there?" But I tend to use it as a point of emphasis, as in "That's good food right there!" or "You made a good point right there."  I guess I do it to sound folksy or something.  But it's not making me sound folksy. It's making me sound like a hick.

Why am I telling you this? I suppose so that you'll help me. I already have all three members of my immediate family shouting, "There you go! You just did it!" every time I use the expression. Maybe you could join them. If you hear me end a sentence unnecessarily with "right there," let me know.

That'd be a big help right there!*

*That's supposed to be a witty ending to the post, not an actual slip up. You don't have to let me know about that one...*

*I know that most of you already knew that, but you can never tell with some people. Also, some people will point it out just to irritate me...

No comments: