Wednesday, November 19, 2008

I Got Nothin'!

I knew this day would come sooner or later: I am absolutely drawing a blank on anything useful to say today. So I'll just babble a little about what's going on...

...We're really getting ready to move. Purchasing a house and moving aren't really two separate things. They're really about a thousand separate things! Looking at houses online. Contacting a realtor. Visiting a house. Visiting another house. Comparing prices of those houses with other houses. On and on and on the list goes, through making an offer to countering an offer to applying for a loan to qualifying for a loan to the house inspection to setting a closing date to picking a moving company to packing little items and on and on the list goes. And I've left out a bunch of steps along the way. So though I fully intended to buy a house and move from the first step (Okay, maybe from about the sixth or seventh step) it still never really seemed real to me. I always assumed that something else somewhere down the road was going to trip us up and the deal would fall apart. But now we're just a few days from closing. I will be spending this next weekend painting and moving. Life is about to change drastically!...

...I have a sick relative in the hospital, and she's on my mind a lot. I pray for her, and I'm a person who believes in the prayer, but at moments like this prayer feels so empty and impotent. I want it to mean something, I need it to mean something, but she's so far away and I can't get out of my head the feeling that my prayer doesn't mean anything. It's just empty words. But it's all I can do, so I plow ahead with it...

...I don't know how I feel about the possibility of Hillary Clinton being Obama's Secretary of State. On the one hand I think she'd do a good job. On the other hand, I voted for Obama in part because of his cry for "Change," and I don't see the Clintons as much of a change. On the third hand (Where'd that third hand come from?) EVERY new administration I remember has had the same debate about whether or not the incoming President is really different because he's hiring the dreaded "Washington Insiders." You only have to go back to the current administration to see this. Bush campaigned that he was a businessman who'd made the state of Texas successful by treating government like a business, and that he would do the same in Washington. He then hired mostly Washington insiders to run his White House. So it really doesn't matter who the President picks, I guess. It's what he DOES that will determine whether he's really an agent of change.

...Speaking of change, a lot has changed in 8 years. Considering the state of the economy today and the state of many businesses, if a candidate TODAY campaigned with the idea of treating government like big business he'd probably lose in a landslide. The truth of the matter is I think that trend has been reversed: many businesses today are treating their business like big government: bloated, with excessive spending that exceeds income.

There you go! Even when I have nothing to say I can find something to say. That's what eleventy-five years of college will do for you!

No comments: