Sunday, November 16, 2008

A New Song I Love

Okay, you have to understand right off the bat that "new" is a fairly relative term when it comes to me and music. The last time I posted a "new" song on here it was a two year old cover of an even older song. The song I want to talk about today was a hit seven months ago, but I'm just now finding out about it.

I don't listen to new music much anymore, I think for a couple of reasons: 1) I don't like most of what I hear on the radio, and 2) I have CD players and MP3 players which keep me listening to music I already know. The other day, in fact, Natalie wanted a song off of a greatest hits CD in the library (Some 21st century version of a K-Tel album, I guess). The cd, according to its own cover, had "22 Top 40 hits by the original artisits!" I put the CD in and I literally had heard NONE of the songs before. I'm just getting old, I guess.

And this song below, in fact, was NOT recommended by a friend. MEREDITH told me about it. For the last three weeks she and Natalie have been wandering around the house singing, "I can ride my bike with no handlebars, no handlebars, no handlebars."

At times it was incessant, so I finally said to them, "WHAT are you guys singing?"

"It's this song everyone's singing at school, Dad," Meredith said. "Will you play it on the computer for us?"

"Not now," I'd said then. They asked me several more times to play it, and I finally acquiessed Friday night. I was flabbergasted by the song. I don't like rap as a general rule (and I'm not 100% sure this song is rap anyway), but I loved this song.

When I told Meredith I loved it, she laughed, and said, "Really? Why? It's about nothing." But if you watch the video you'll see that's not true. The song is about the almost limitless potential that human beings have, and how we often abuse that potential.

Despite the innocent beginning, though, it is NOT a children's song, and it gets increasingly sinister.

Thematically it's actually pretty similar to Paul Simon's "Boy in the Bubble" from his GRACELAND CD.

This is a COOLER song, though, and ALMOST as cool a video...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The generation gap has hit! Lisa memorized "Rappers Delight" at about 12 and probably still knows it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdHhE_9omr8

Merideth and Natalie will say "Oh Mom, you really listened to that?"

bsweasy said...

I checked with Lisa this morning and she CAN recite Rapper's Delight.