
Today the Supreme Court of California is supposed to rule on whether or not to uphold last year's Proposition 8, which banned gay marriage in the state.
As I mentioned a few months ago, I very much hope that the California Supreme Court does NOT overturn the voter initiative. Not because I'm against gay marriage (Try as I might to come to a resolution, I find myself completed conflicted about gay marriage), but because I'm against the courts telling the people that they cannot change the constitution using rules that are actually in the constitution. If they do that there really is no recourse against the courts. If a law is passed that the court doesn't like they can declare it unconstitutional. If the people then pass a ballot initiative to reinstate the law the courts can then declare that the people don't have the right to do this. It puts absolute power in the hands of one part of the government, and that's dangerous.
Anyway, I'm hoping that--if you watch the nightly news tonight--you'll hear the anchor say that the Supreme Court of California upheld the voters' rights.
______________________________
Update (1:42 PM):
No comments:
Post a Comment