Wednesday, August 20, 2008

How Stupid ARE People?

According to Google News, there are 682 different news stories today concerning the fact that the recent discovery of a Bigfoot carcass in the backwoods of Georgia has turned out to be a hoax.

Here's my question: Who DIDN'T think this was a hoax in the first place? I mean, come on! When I read the news articles a week ago about how this had been found and would be unveiled last Friday, I thought, "That's ridiculous. This HAS to be a hoax!"

Here's why I thought that: You can't hide something that big in an area as un-remote as the backwoods of Georgia. This isn't some remote area of Congo, where thousands of lowland gorillas--previously unknown to have been there--were recently discovered. We're talking the woods of Georgia here, where families go camping and fishing. Where did people think a supposedly seven foot seven inch, 500 pound creature would be hiding?

I MIGHT (emphasis on "might") have believed the claim if the people who "discovered" the Bigfoot had found only the single dead Big Foot (after all, there was a wild bear running loose in Northern Kentucky a few years ago and it managed to elude authorities), but their claim that they saw three more walking around was just silly. People have been looking for Big Foot for decades with no success, and these people discover four of them in one day...in Georgia!

They would have been more believable if they'd claimed they'd found a dinosaur the size of a chicken or something like that. But Big Foot? In an age where I can use Google Earth to zoom down on my address and see my minivan in the driveway, Big Foot is just too big to go undetected. Give it up, people. There's no such thing.

At least not in Georgia.

No comments: