Sunday, August 3, 2008

The Web's Fickle Nature

My last post, which you can read below, was about how my name appeared on a porn website. Today I'd like to come clean with you about the truth behind that story.

I wrote yesterday that I was Googling my name out of vanity. That wasn't entirely true. And by "not entirely true" I mean "not true at all." I first Googled Lisa's name because I was looking for an NPR story she had done a couple of years ago (and which I will make the subject of a future post on a day when I don't have anything else to write about) and I was going through her Google results when I found something that startled me (I'd rather not elaborate on what I found). I decided to check to see if the same link appeared in my results, and that's why I was Googling my name late on a Friday night and that's how I found my name on a porn site.

However, this afternoon I wanted to show Lisa both of the Google results I mention above (the porn site and the other site that bothered me) only to find that BOTH of the links have disappeared. I used my web browser's History tab to navigate back to the pages only to find that both pages are completely gone! Without any proof that either was real I felt like a liar, like someone who'd made the whole thing up. To Lisa's credit, she believed me and just asked what I thought had happened to the two pages. I would have teased her endlessly for a couple of days, saying she was making stuff up just to get attention.

So the World Wide Web is ever changing. Something everyone knew already, I guess. I'm just shocked at how quickly Google indexes changes.

Anyway, you can now Google my name to your heart's content (not that I imagine anyone to actually be doing that) without worry about porn.

No comments: