Thursday, January 22, 2009

When You Gotta Have One...

I've been at a conference at the Galt House in Louisville since Tuesday afternoon. Today is the last day. I've spent some of my time in the evening sitting at the desk in my room working on my computer. As I've been working away I noticed the sign below which was sitting on the desk.





That's one expensive cigarette! On the other hand, I'm impressed with how polite the sign is. It doesn't say, "No Smoking in this room!" It gives YOU the option. Go ahead, it says. Smoke 'em if you got 'em. Just know the consequences.

Speaking of the conference, days like today remind me that I'm a lousy listener. I think I'm ADD. I have trouble sitting in one place for any length of time. I have trouble staying focused. And I honestly think that my current job makes this whole condition--which wasn't great to start with--WORSE. Because during the day I CRAVE the chance to focus, to be able to concentrate on just this one thing that I'm doing. But I'm constantly interrupted by emails, phone calls, and visitors to my office. I'd say--without exaggerating--that at any given time of the day I am usually working on at least two things at once. So the idea of sitting still for an hour and looking at a PowerPoint presentation almost scares me now.



No comments: