Saturday, May 23, 2009

New Design

I hate it when a website that I'm used to visiting suddenly decides to premier a new design. Suddenly, I have no idea where anything is anymore!

I have the same feeling when I go to the supermarket and they change things up. The Bigg's in Florence was notorious for that back in the '90's when I was shopping there weekly. Maybe twice a year I'd go in and the drinks aisle had been moved over a couple of aisles for no apparent reason! And the applesauce, which used to be the top shelf at the end of aisle 5 on the left side, is now on the bottom shelf closer to the middle of the aisle. That kind of stuff infuriates me.

I never know why either websites or stores feel a need to do this. That's not true. I know why both do it, and it's for different reasons. Grocery stores move items around so that you have to search to find them. Because if you're a regular shopper in a store, eventually you sort of get blinders on and you only see things that you normally buy. Then the store shuffles things around, and while you're looking for that 32 oz. jar of peanut butter you'll find yourself saying, "Hey, look! They sell computer screen cleaning kits here!"

Websites make the change just to "freshen up" the site a little. And I guess that's why I made my change. I did try not to make it too terribly different. I just changed the colors a little and flipped the columns. I'm not even sure if I like it. It may be in a week or so I'll put it back the way it was. But this is what happens when boredom sets in.

1 comment:

Allyson said...

And of course, now you're all orange-y...