But my senior year was an exception to the rule, in part because I think I understood I was staring at a giant change coming to my life, and I was distracted by that. Other than that one instance, I have never really felt that inability to focus in April and May, and as a teacher I fought against it with my students. I never stopped teaching until the last day of school (and I never told my students that something we did in the last two weeks of school was for their edification only, either) and when they complained I would brush off their complaints and say, "Look, your parents are paying me to teach you for 177 days, not 150," and then I would just go on. I knew teachers in adjoining classrooms had already packed it in for the year and were playing Trivial Pursuit in class or something like that or watching movies, but I didn't care, mostly, I guess, because I believed that sentence I was saying to the kids.
All of that said, though, I need THIS school year to be over. It has been a long one and a tough one for a lot of reasons, and I need these students and teachers to go away and leave me alone for a couple of months.
1 comment:
First of all, I'm a little worried that the Franklin Co education system has changed so little that the book you were forced to read in the last few weeks of AP English is the same one my friends were forced to read (I had long since dropped out of AP English and was given A Confederacy of Dunces to read in the last few weeks - also a book I have NEVER read). Also, you are in a good company of education professionals who just need this year to be over. Enjoy your "summer".
And because I can't resist, "Stay cool!"
Post a Comment