Tuesday, August 11, 2009

A New Film Genre

Lisa and I are way too cheap to pay for REAL cable. Instead, in order to get discounts on our phone service and Internet access (both of which we get via our cable company), we get the very most basic TV cable service offered. We get about 60 channels, which sounds like a lot, but I'm not kidding when I say we get about 8 real channels, 4 PBS channels, 8 community access channels, and about 20 digital music channels, along with analog versions of all but the music channels. So we can do quite a bit of flipping, but there isn't much there.

To compensate, Lisa has started checking movies out of the library. We've been watching classic films, and the last two we've seen together (I watched The Watchmen a couple of nights ago alone) are Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolfe? and What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? We watched the second one last night, and as I watched it I couldn't help but notice the parallels between the two movies:
  1. They were both made in the mid 1960's.
  2. They both star glamorous Hollywood actresses in decidedely non-glamorous roles.
  3. The titles are both very similar: a question that includes a female name.
  4. They're both based on popular prior works (Virginia Wolfe on a play, and Baby Jane on a novel).
  5. There's an alcoholic who figures prominently in each movie.
  6. At a time when more and more movies were made in color, these were both black and white films.
  7. Despite appreciating both films, I didn't really ENJOY either of them.

That's a lot of similarities. It makes me wonder if we haven't discovered a genre here: the depressing, black and white, mid '60's film with a question in its title and about an alcoholic woman.

If we HAVE discovered a genre, I wonder if there are any other movies out there. We might as well keep our streak alive and watch another. Can anyone think of one?

No comments: