Tuesday, August 18, 2009

A Calm First Day

Yesterday was the first day of school for students in my school district. A year ago I wrote about the first day of school and how hectic it was. This year was the polar opposite. There were NO major issues that I had to run off and take care of. About the biggest opening day problem was that I forgot to reprogram the doors in the district to automatically open at 7 AM for students to come in and then automatically lock again at 8:05. Instead, the custodians had to actually walk around the buildings and open the doors with physical keys! The horror!

And it wasn't just a calm day for me, either. I talked to people throughout the district over the course of the day, and when I asked them how things were going, almost all of them used that same word: calm.

Anyway, at 2:00 I walked over to the high school and middle school to re-program the doors so that they would automatically open this morning. It was the first time that I saw any actual students walking the halls of the schools. If I hadn't made it over there I wouldn't have known that it was the first day of school at all. It would have just felt like it was another day plucking away at a keyboard.

I'll take the first day this year over the first day last year every time!

2 comments:

Allyson said...

oh that's just because swine flu hasn't hit yet. :)

bsweasy said...

I'm on the committee in my district that is in charge of responding to any flu outbreaks, and I can tell you that this is a VERY real concern!