"Sounds like you could use some help," I said.
"You better believe it," she said.
"You must be in favor of Obama's health plan, then," I said.
Her face hardened, her lips tightened, and she glared at me for several seconds before finally replying, "I could NEVER be in favor of anything that came out of that man's mouth!"
I wrote about a year ago about how saddened I was that people with opposing viewpoints are treated with such venom these days. That conversation yesterday reminded me of this. I don't have a problem with her not liking Obama's overall liberal viewpoint. I don't have a problem with her not liking the currently proposed health reform bill (I have some problems with it myself, not the least of which is that I don't think it does ENOUGH to help people like the person I was talking with). What I DO have a problem with is her dismissing the plan without even considering it just because Obama was the President while the bill was being proposed.
This kind of negativity is nothing but bad for the country. And it's ultimately destructive. I would even go so far as to say that someone who won't objectively study and consider ideas proposed by our leaders--regardless of which party that leader is from--is unpatriotic.
I don't care whose flag they're flying from their porch.
1 comment:
The "Community Organizer" is mad about "Community Organizers". Now lets turn this around, most of these new organizers are white, would Obama be considered racist for saying bad things about them. I have been watching this "racial" thing for more than 50 years and I am very tired of it and all the "racial" divide it has caused. It provides an avenue for those who pretend to be for civil rights but use it as an excuse to further their agenda. As Earl Pitts would say "Grow Up America"
Post a Comment