Sunday, October 26, 2008

Technical Stuff

This is publishing Sunday morning, but I am typing this on Friday afternoon. I've been at a technology update all day. The update was sponsored by the Kentucky Society for Technology in Education, but most of the actual presenters (actually, ALL of the presenters so far) are technical people from the Kentucky Department of Education.

Listening to them, I feel pretty much the way I imagine the non-techie people in my school district feel when I talk to them. So much of what is being said is jargon, about half of which I understand and half of which I don't. I have a page full of notes about ports and proxies and FTP and all kinds of fun stuff that I'll have to look up later.

In addition to being technical, a lot of the information is bureaucratic and/or political. I guess I should expect that from KDE as it is a BIG part of the state government. A lot of talk about laws and administrative regulations.

Right now, in fact, I am listening (okay, I guess I'm not listening very well since I'm writing this, but that's another story) to a KDE technician describing the law that requires school districts to provide content filtering of Internet websites. Fun stuff.

The best thing about days like this are the breaks or the times in the hallway when I talk with CIO's at other districts. We swap ideas, share horror stories. Fellowship. In many ways these are some of the best days of my job for those reasons, but sitting through presentations like this isn't really exciting.

C'est la vie.

No comments: