I have basically nothing to write about today, so I'll write just a couple of quick bullet points, or as W.S. Berger used to call them, Flashes from the Haven.
FLASH--The Weather
I hate this. It's been, what, 82 degrees the last couple of days? And it's October? This just isn't right. As I've mentioned before, I'm no fan of the heat.
When it got cool a couple of weeks ago we turned off the air conditioner, supposedly for the last time, and the idea of turning it back on in the middle of October just seems wrong to me, but I may not be able to prevent it. I haven't slept well the last two nights.
Maybe I'd do better if I had a ceiling fan in my bedroom. I don't know. I don't think I'm going to get it installed before it gets cool again, so I'm not going to worry about it.
FLASH--Me and My Big Mouth
Sunday night the city of Fort Mitchell sponsored a free night at the Jump Zone, a play area in Florence that usually is NOT free. While I was shopping at Kroger instead of watching the Bengals game I ran into two of Natalie's friends (twins) and their mother. I said hello, and then started to say, "Hey, are you guys going to the Jump Zone tonight?" Then it occurred to me in mid-sentence that if they WEREN'T going I was about to cause a real problem for the mom, so instead I said, "Hey, are you guys going...going...going to the Thing?"
They all asked, "What Thing?" and I whispered into the mom's ear what I meant. I don't think my belated caution helped much, though. As I walked away I could hear the girls shouting at their mom, "What? What Mom? What's the Thing?"
So I owe that mom an apology the next time I see her.
FLASH--Trees coming Down
Yesterday an arborist was at Vent Haven removing three of the large trees in the back yard of the museum grounds. One of the trees was damaged by the storm that blew through a couple of weeks ago, and the others just look kind of scary, with their dying branches and the way they're leaning precariously over one museum building or another, so they're all coming down.
It makes me kind of sad. One of my favorite things about Vent Haven is the mature trees on the grounds. Once these three are down, we will have felled eight of them in the eight years we've been there.
I could look on the bright side and say that this will mean fewer leaves to rake, but these trees that are coming down today (with the exception of the one broken by the storm) are pine trees--they don't have leaves anyway.
FLASH--The Weather
I hate this. It's been, what, 82 degrees the last couple of days? And it's October? This just isn't right. As I've mentioned before, I'm no fan of the heat.
When it got cool a couple of weeks ago we turned off the air conditioner, supposedly for the last time, and the idea of turning it back on in the middle of October just seems wrong to me, but I may not be able to prevent it. I haven't slept well the last two nights.
Maybe I'd do better if I had a ceiling fan in my bedroom. I don't know. I don't think I'm going to get it installed before it gets cool again, so I'm not going to worry about it.
FLASH--Me and My Big Mouth
Sunday night the city of Fort Mitchell sponsored a free night at the Jump Zone, a play area in Florence that usually is NOT free. While I was shopping at Kroger instead of watching the Bengals game I ran into two of Natalie's friends (twins) and their mother. I said hello, and then started to say, "Hey, are you guys going to the Jump Zone tonight?" Then it occurred to me in mid-sentence that if they WEREN'T going I was about to cause a real problem for the mom, so instead I said, "Hey, are you guys going...going...going to the Thing?"
They all asked, "What Thing?" and I whispered into the mom's ear what I meant. I don't think my belated caution helped much, though. As I walked away I could hear the girls shouting at their mom, "What? What Mom? What's the Thing?"
So I owe that mom an apology the next time I see her.
Yesterday an arborist was at Vent Haven removing three of the large trees in the back yard of the museum grounds. One of the trees was damaged by the storm that blew through a couple of weeks ago, and the others just look kind of scary, with their dying branches and the way they're leaning precariously over one museum building or another, so they're all coming down.
It makes me kind of sad. One of my favorite things about Vent Haven is the mature trees on the grounds. Once these three are down, we will have felled eight of them in the eight years we've been there.
I could look on the bright side and say that this will mean fewer leaves to rake, but these trees that are coming down today (with the exception of the one broken by the storm) are pine trees--they don't have leaves anyway.
No comments:
Post a Comment