Saturday, December 13, 2008

I did it!

I'm posting this Saturday morning, but I'm actually writing it Friday morning...out of frustration...to avoid throwing a computer out the window...

It took me more than a year of use, but I did it: I finally managed to completely screw up a Windows Vista computer!

When I first started keeping this blog, I wrote about my frustrations with Windows Vista. A lot of the frustrations that I had back then are with me now, too. I STILL can't put my home Windows Vista computer to sleep without it crashing, and I STILL can't go to fullscreen without it occasionally locking up on me. Websites blame at least the latter on my video card, but I have the latest drivers of a video card DESIGNED EXCLUSIVELY FOR VISTA and it still won't work.

Despite all of those complaints, though, I'll say this about Windows Vista: It's a pretty stable operating system. It still has some bugs like the ones mentioned above, but overall it avoids the infamous "Blue Screen of Death," and it usually manages to avoid getting stuck in a loop.

Until today, that is. I finally managed to do it. I was setting up a tablet PC for the district assistant-superintendent, and I was trying to setup the system to use two monitors at once. I accidentally gave the opposite monitor settings for each monitor and--wah lah!--the computer went into an endless loop that I couldn't get it out of no matter WHAT I did.

So I had to basically wipe the computer down and start over. And I'm really frustrated by that. And I don't necessarily feel any better for having typed this. I guess I'm going to have to discipline myself like I was disciplined in fifth grade:

I will not throw my boss's new computer out of the window in a fit of rage.
I will not throw my boss's new computer out of the window in a fit of rage.
I will not throw my boss's new computer out of the window in a fit of rage.
I will not throw my boss's new computer out of the window in a fit of rage.
I will not throw my boss's new computer out of the window in a fit of rage.
I will not throw my boss's new computer out of the window in a fit of rage.
I will not throw my boss's new computer out of the window in a fit of rage.
I will not throw my boss's new computer out of the window in a fit of rage.
I will not throw my boss's new computer out of the window in a fit of rage.
I will not throw my boss's new computer out of the window in a fit of rage.
I will not throw my boss's new computer out of the window in a fit of rage.

Wow, cutting and pasting makes THAT punishment a whole lot easier than it was back in the 1970's. Which may be one of the reasons why it's not used anymore.

Along with the fact that it's just stupid to start with anyway.

Sort of like this post.

No comments: