For the last couple of days Lisa and I have been looking at a list online of the top songs from each year of the 1980's. We've been then searching for several of the songs on Youtube and listening to them. Reminiscing, I guess you'd say.
The songs on these lists tend to fall into one of six groups:
1. Songs we remember and love.
2. Songs we remember and like.
3. Songs we remember and tolerate.
4. Songs we remember that make us cringe.
5. Songs we don't remember until we listen to them, and then we vaguely remember them.
6. Songs we don't remember and then we play them and we still don't remember them.
You might think that the category that we would most enjoy would be Number One above. But for me anyway, the categories I liked best were numbers four and five above. It was odd not thinking I knew a song and then hearing it play and just having the most vague recollection of the music. Because I hadn't heard the song in 20 or so years, it really took me back to a moment in time.
I also loved to hear the songs that make me cringe. I can't explain it really. I guess it's the same reason people scrape their nails on a chalkboard. At some level, we enjoy pain. Sometimes the songs make me cringe because they were just plain awful, and I've always known they were just plain awful. At other times, they make me cringe because they're songs I liked when they first came out, but now when I listen to them I hear what absolute tripe they are.
In any event, I thought on and off for the next few months I'd present a few of these songs I vaguely remember and songs I hate. And I thought I'd start with this one. I think I liked this song when it first came out. But now, I couldn't help but laugh as I listened to it.
If you can't see the video above, you can watch the video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMDKDAfnNFs
1 comment:
The best part is you are doing things together!
Post a Comment