Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Conservative Radio

Here's how ridiculous ultra-conservative radio is...

I was driving today and tuned my car radio to 91.7 FM, which is the frequency of WVXU in Cincinnati, an NPR news and discussion station. I'm a frequent listener of WVXU, especially All Things Considered, Prairie Home Companion, and This American Life. Because I work in the daytime most of the year, I am NOT usually a listener in the daytime during the week. So I tuned my radio to 91.7 not sure what I was going to hear, maybe Talk of the Nation or the Diane Rehm Show.

What I heard instead was what I immediately recognized as a satire of conservative talk radio. First, there was a radio commercial from some attorneys who were going to sue the state of New York to keep a mosque from being built at Ground Zero. "Let's make Ground Zero a memorial to the men and women who died," the ad said while sinister sounding music played, "not a memorial to the religion that brought the Towers down." Okay, I thought, this is pretty subtle satire here, making fun of our fear of Islam. Then an announcer came on talking about the war in Afghanistan, and how President Obama was out to intentionally lose the war so that he could blame the loss on Bush. Again, I thought--as callers chimed in to concur with the speaker--this is pretty subtle satire. I'm not sure I get the point other than to point out how dumb talk radio callers can be.

And then I realized--I wasn't in Northern Kentucky. I was out of range of WVXU. This wasn't satire at all. This WAS a conservative radio station.

I don't have any idea WHAT station I was listening to, but it's amazing how almost funny things can be when you're trying to make them funny.

Which maybe explains why Two and a Half Men has stayed on the air so long.

No comments: