Wednesday, October 1, 2008

October

I know that for the average person summer is the favorite season, and I also know that summer has a lot going for it: The weather is warm enough that one can go outside, the kids are off school, and the pools are open. Picnics, vacations, and family gatherings all add to the festive atmosphere. And as an educator I get some time off in the summer (though not as much as one would think).

The truth, though, is that I barely tolerate the summer. I look forward every year to today, October 1. Starting about July 1 I just try to survive until summer ends. A big part of it is the heat. I think I handle heat and humidity less ably than the average person. If it is above 70 degrees it's really too warm for me, and the truth is I would rather it be about 10 degrees cooler than that.

Heat isn't the only issue, though. I also can't stand all of the bugs, especially at the end of the summer (and even now) when the bugs are everywhere and start to get a little haughty, thinking they are going to take over the world. I really look forward to that first killing frost to give the bugs the smackdown.

And from my perspective, a big chunk of the summer is taken up getting things around here ready for the convention, so summer is not as relaxing as it could be.

I guess all I am saying is that today I am happy. The museum is closed for the season, the leaves are changing colors, and the air is noticably cooler. Soon I might even need a sweatshirt.

I made it through another summer!

No comments: