Tuesday, February 17, 2009

A Day Off

Yesterday was an event that I think I've had about seven times in the last twelve years: an entire day at home alone.

My school district was off for President's Day, but the girls' school district was using the day as a makeup day, and Lisa is still doing her long term sub job at the same school. So I had the whole day to myself.

As I just said, I think I've had maybe six other days like yesterday, and five of them were last year on Spring Break, so it's defintely not something I'm used to. The quiet is so nice. I spent a lot of time actually working, cleaning the house, rearranging some furniture, making a pot roast, being productive. I only left the house once, to get an electronics cable I needed at Wal-Mart. I was only gone for maybe 30 minutes. I didn't want to browse the store; I wanted to get back home to my nothingness.

Despite all of the work that I mentioned above, I actually got a lot LESS done than I thought I would. I had big plans. In addition to everything I mentioned above, I was also going to vacuum the entire house and clean all of the bathrooms.

But things didn't work out that way. They NEVER work out that way. I always imagine when I have an entire day that I can get done about three times as much stuff as I actually get done. I guess I forget about eating meals and stopping to watch TV and stuff like that.

Still, it was a nice day, a chance to get re-energized. I don't have another weekday off work until Spring Break in April. So now, Tuesday morning, after a nice three day weekend, I'm staring at seven weeks of work before another break.

Time to go out there and get at it!

No comments: