Friday, February 13, 2009

A Game That Makes a Boring Meeting Fun

Nothing can be more unpleasant than sitting at a meeting where the speaker is trying to be funny but just flat out isn't. It can be a very uncomfortable moment. But if you're a fan of the NBC show The Office, Lisa and I discovered a fun little game you can play that makes the that uncomfortable moment enjoyable:

Just pretend that the person speaking is Michael Scott, Steven Carrell's character from The Office. Suddenly everything the person is saying WILL BE funny!

We discovered this quite by accident watching the weekend edition of the Channel 5 news show. Anchoring the newscast one Saturday morning was an anchorman who had--prior to the discovery of our game--been my least favorite newscaster. The guy's name is Jonathan Hawgood, and what always bothered me about him is that in between every story he feels a psychotic need to try to be funny, but at the same time he seems to have a complete inability to actually BE funny. It used to irritate me to no end. Finally, one Saturday morning when we were sitting on the couch watching the news, I said to Lisa, "You know, that guy kind of looks like Steven Carrell. I wish Michael Scott were doing the news instead of this guy." And then just like that, the guy suddenly became hilarious! He's now my favorite newscaster, and I can't wait for the weekend to come so that I can watch him. (Holy crud! I hope he doesn't google his name and find this! I'd hate for him to become self-conscious!)

Once I started doing that I started doing it whenever someone was trying to be funny, and I've found it works whether the speaker looks like Michael Scott or not.

Just a tip!

No comments: