Friday, February 27, 2009

Not a Joke

A couple of weeks ago I tried to make a joke out of some of the bills that were being proposed in this year's state legislature, including a law about unpasteurized goat milk. And in the time since I've actually stumbled across a few more humorous legislative items, including a resolution to make February 26th of this year "Kentucky Hospice Day," and another to make February 28th "Rare Disease Day." Which seems backward to me, by the way. Seems like the rare disease ought to come before the trip to hospice. But no matter.

There is one bill, however, that is no laughing matter to me. Kentucky's Senate Bill 68, the so-called "Act Relating to the Welfare of Adopted and Foster Care Children," if passed, will forbid non-married sexual partners who are living together from adopting or fostering a child.

I have three specific problems with this bill. First and foremost, there's the old expression of "calling a spade a spade." This bill should NOT be called "An Act Relating to the Welfare of Adopted and Foster Care Children." It should be called "An Act Prohibiting Gay Couples from Adopting or Fostering Children," because that's what it's designed to do. Let's not beat around the bush with wishy-washy names: since gay marriage is not legal in the state of Kentucky, passage of this bill will mean that any homosexual couple living together will be necessarily prohibited from adopting children. So the first thing that bothers me is that the title of the bill and the supposed intent of the bill are deceptive.

The second thing that bothers me, and this is more important, is that the real intent behind the bill is stupid. Supporters argue that studies show a home that has a married couple at the center is the best kind of home for a child to be raised in. As a general rule that MAY be true (or it may not, but I'm not going to debate that today), but that doesn't mean it holds true in all cases. I happen to know a lesbian couple who have a couple of adopted children, and I guarantee you, no matter how hard you tried, you would not find a couple who were more loving or more involved in their children's lives, nor would you find two children any better adjusted. I find the idea that those two children would necessarily have been better off in the home of any married couple--including a married couple with one alcoholic spouse and another abusive one--offensive.

The third thing that bothers me about this bill is that I'm not sure the crafters of this bill have fully considered the consequences of its passage. For one thing, it is not only homosexual couples who are being prohibited from adopting children--ANY sexual couple living together but not married is prohibited. This means that if my wife and I both died that our children could not be adopted by my wife's sister if she were living with a boyfriend. Rather than have that happen, the crafters of this bill would have my children go into foster care in a stranger's home. It doesn't make sense. This bill ties the hands of an adoption agency. It would be the same as making it illegal for a police officer to stop an attacking criminal with a rock. Sure, a TASER or a billy club might be a better choice, but in a pinch, if a rock is all you have, you want to be able to throw it.

Notice that so far I haven't even taken a stand on whether homosexuality is right or wrong, or on whether or not gays should be allowed to marry. That's because--as interesting as those conversations might be--they're not really relevant here. The legislation, as it's written, eliminates too many positive possibilities for adoption in an attempt to make it impossible for one group to adopt.

And I'm sorry that I don't have a joke to tell about this bill. But it's not funny. Frankly, that it's even being considered by the legislature makes me embarrassed to be a Kentuckian. I hope and pray that it dies in committee.

1 comment:

Building The Willys said...

Will they change the words to My Old Kentucky Home that implies that blacks are gay?