Thursday, August 12, 2010

Ticked Off by NBC News

Last night I watched the NBC Nightly News, and the final story was about how the entire archive video from Johnny Carson's day on The Tonight Show had been digitized and placed on the web...forever.

That was pretty exciting stuff. Then I went to the web expecting to be able to watch whatever episode of The Tonight Show that I wanted to watch (I was thinking of maybe something from the late 80's, when I was actually staying up and watching the show). What I found, instead, was that the website mentioned in the news article only had clips from the show, and that the website was REALLY an advertisement for the DVD collection that's for sale.

I went back and watched the news story again just now, and I'm ticked off. At no time does Ann Curry (who's not my favorite news anchor anyway) say that the catalog is FREE online, but it certainly sounds--intentionally, I think--that way. So in the end, the "news" story on NBC news REALLY was a commercial for an NBC show, and not news at all.

NBC, when I watch the national news, I want the newscaster to give me NEWS.

You can watch the "news" segment below, and you can visit the website by clicking here.



(I can't see the video.)

No comments: