I say (and you can quote me) "Ho hum" about the latest fall from grace of two of sports' finest. First, photos of Olympic swimmer Michael Phelps surfaced showing him smoking marijuana from a bong (see photo to the right). Then New York Yankee Alex Rodriguez admitted yesterday that he did, indeed, use steroids while playing Major League baseball. Two shining stars struck down so close together.And my reaction: big deal. I honestly cannot get any real emotional traction from these stories. Am I shocked? No. Famous athletes have been abusing drugs of all kinds for years, and as long as it doesn't hurt their game, most people don't care.
So then, am I outraged? Not really. I don't care one way or another whether Michael Phelps decided to smoke marijuana. As long as he's not driving afterward and not offering any to my kids, I don't care what he does. And as far as Alex Rodriguez goes, the bigger story should not be which slugger IS using steroids, but which ones AREN'T, because that, my friend, would be real news. People shouldn't be pointing fingers at Alex Rodriguez. They should be pointing them at Ken Griffey, Jr. You can tell by looking at that guy that he hasn't been taking steroids. How has HE managed to do it? What' HIS secret?
I guess this all goes back to my post a week ago about my apathy for the Super Bowl this year. I think maybe I'm just done with sports, at least for now, and I simply don't care enough to care anymore.
1 comment:
The REAL issue IMHO is this: these athletes are role models for our kids. They all want to be Tiger Woods, Michael Jordon when they grow up. How many kids at the local swim clubs want to be like Phelps? These drug users need to suffer for their actions. A-Rod should lose a year and be banned from Hall of Fame consideration but drugs seem to be OK in our society as we all know drug users that steal, stole, or have stolen (I remember some english) and just get bailed out either by society social programs or familiy. There is no innocent drug use IMHO.
Post a Comment