Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Ding Dongs

It occurred to me a few months ago that I hadn't had a Hostess Ding Dong (or King Don, as they used to be known in these parts) in years. I'd mention it every now and then to my wife and friends: "Hey, you know what I haven't had in a long time? A Ding Dong?" It's a great conversation starter (for many reasons). A good friend finally took the hint and bought me a box of Ding Dongs, and I shared them with family and co-workers (I set the box out in the communal eating area at my office).

And it's funny because everyone pretty much had the same reaction*. The first thing people would say was, "Ding Dongs! I haven't had one of those since I was a kid! I LOVE those things!" Then, after eating one, they'd say, "You know what? They really weren't that great..."

I guess there's a chasm between what we remember about our childhood and reality.
-----------------------------
*Except for my kids. They took one bite and both said, "Awesome! These are awesome!" So maybe it's just that Ding Dongs taste different once you get out of your teen years. 

No comments: