Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The First Day of School

Today is the first day of school in my school district. Usually on the first day of school I'm scrambling to get all technology working correctly, "putting out fires" so to speak. This year, though, I'll be doing something different. I'm planning* to close the door and create new student user accounts.

There are two reasons I'm doing things differently. First, I have a FANTASTIC guy working with me in the district's technology department. As a result, we're just not as slammed as we used to be on the first day of school. Don't get me wrong. All of the people who've worked for me in the past have been good (Okay--MOST all of the people), but Dan can do the work of two other people. He's that good.

The second reason, though, and probably the more important, is that teachers need students to have their user accounts RIGHT AWAY. It's not like the good old days. Back just five or six years ago I wasn't creating new user accounts until about four weeks after school started. That allowed time for the majority of the enrollments to occur (Believe it or not, many, many parents don't enroll their kids until AFTER school has started. There are a number of parents who say with a straight face, "I didn't go to school until after Labor Day, and neither is my kid!"). But teachers can't wait anymore. So the goal this year is to have all of the new accounts created by the end of the first day of school.

It's a tall order, but we're going to try.

*I put an asterisk here because--as I've mentioned before in this blog--I don't always get to do what I plan to do at this job.

No comments: