Sunday, August 14, 2011

Quote of the Week / Changing My Motto

I hate country music. Let me start with that. It makes me want to poke my eyes out...even more so than gangster rap or smooth jazz.

I want to say that for the record because I can't stand the music in the video below...but I love the sentiment of the song, especially one line:

There's gonna be two dates on your tombstone, and all your friends will read 'em
But all that's gonna matter is that little dash between 'em
--Kevin Welch*

I'd heard variations of that saying many times before, but when a former student and Facebook friend posted it on Facebook the other day, I was really struck by it. That's what I want, I thought, to live a life that matters. I want my life to have some meaning to it.

So I've decided to change the subtitle of this blog to reflect that. When I first started the blog, I was changing the subtitle a couple of times a week, but I kept coming back to "Home of All Things Sweasy" because a) People kept telling me that they liked that subtitle and b) I originally imagined when I started the blog that I'd give authoring rights to all of my family and that there might be more than just me writing on this blog so that members of the family could come here and keep up with each other. But then I realized that something like that already existed, and it was called Facebook.

So it's time to change the motto. And I've changed it to "Detailing the Dash" because that's what this blog is doing: explaining what I'm doing between 1968 and whatever number ends up being to the right of the dash on my tombstone.

Also, I'm hoping that in the future--whenever I notice the new subtitle--it will remind me to get off of my computer and get out there and DO something!



(I can't see the video.)

*Except Welch didn't really come up with the quote. Watch the beginning of this video.

No comments: