Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Quick Update

The power came back on at our house at about 10:00 yesterday morning...and then went off again at about 6:45 PM. Power was restored for (hopefully) the last time at about 7:30 last night.

I worked until noon yesterday and then came home to help the family with the cleanup. It took me over an hour to get home. You would have thought it was the end of the world. Lines at the gas stations ran five or six cars deep, and if there was an open restaurant or grocery store the line of cars trying to get in ran out into the streets, blocking traffic. I'd rather deal with snow than deal with yesterday.

I got home and the girls had done an AMAZING amount of work. I jumped in and helped them. By the end of the day we had filled twenty-two 39 gallon trash bags with yard waste, and that was only the small debris! We just dragged the big branches into the back yard behind all of the museum buildings. We'll deal with those on another day.

We lost all of the eggs and dairy in our refrigerator, and our wireless router at home was fried by the power surges (thought our DVD/hard drive recorder was fried as well, but I got it working again by resetting it). All told we had about $300 in losses (though the museum will have a little more than that from the gutter damage and the cost of tree removal). Not much at all, really. I've seen on TV where giant trees have gone through people's houses, pretty much leveling them. And here in my office, where eight people work, three are still without power this morning.

Most school districts in Northern Kentucky are off today (including the girls'), but we're one of the few that's in session today, so I must get back to work. Just wanted to let you know we were alive.

Click here for a video of cleanup in Fort Mitchell.

No comments: