Sunday, March 15, 2009

Getting Rich off This Blog

I just want you guys all to know this:

I am going to get rich off of this blog.

About three weeks ago I started experimenting with Google's AdSense, a program which pays YOU to make money on your site. You agree to allow Google to place ads on your site. In return, every time a user clicks on a link you get paid. This doesn't cost you anything, and Google keeps track of everything. Once you've made $100 on your site they mail you a check. You don't have to do anything.

I'm really excited because--after three weeks--I've finally cleared the first big hurdle. That's right: Friday afternoon my AdSense balance jumped over the dollar mark. The last time I checked I think I had $1.64 in earnings. After 21 days, that averages 8 cents a day. That means that in a year I will have earned almost 28 dollars off of this site, and sometime in 2013 I should get a big, whopping $100 check from Google! Which I'll have to claim on my taxes and which will further complicate my taxes and probably is not at all worth it, but still, I'm a PAID author now!

And that's something to be excited about.
------------------------------------
Oh, and technically, the Terms of Agreement say that I'm not supposed to ever encourage my readers to click on the ads on my page just to help me make money, so let me reinforce that now: Please don't do that. Click on the ads because they're wicked cool, not in order to make me money. That's just a nice bonus that I don't even want you to consider before clicking the link that only takes 5 seconds of your time.

4 comments:

Allyson said...

Unfortunately for you...I downloaded software that actually replaces all ads on a page with artwork. So, I haven't seen an ad in almost 6 months. Sorry. But congrats on the windfall.

bsweasy said...

Thanks. What's the software you're using?

Unknown said...

What ads? The AdBlockPlus plugin for Firefox must work real good.

bsweasy said...

When I first setup the Adsense account there were HUGE ads all over the place, but I thought they uglied up the site pretty badly, so the only ads left now are over on the right, just below "Quick Links" and before "Blog Archive." So if you're not seeing them, then yes, your Firefox is doing its job. If they're there and you've just never noticed them, I guess that explains why I only have $1.69 in earnings (still).