Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Men's Hoops

You may have noticed over the last week or so (or maybe you haven't) that I haven't made a single post about the NCAA Men's Basketball tournament going on. That's because I don't really care and haven't paid it much attention. With Kentucky and Cincinnati both out of the tournament this year, there hasn't been much to get excited about.

That's not to say there aren't local teams still left. There are. Louisville in the number one seed overall, and Xavier has made it to the Sweet 16. And to be honest, I know more people who graduated from Xavier than I do from UC. Still, I just don't get as excited about those two schools as I do the Bearcats and the Wildcats. Maybe it's a cat thing--I'm a Bengals fan, too.

And for the not-too-interested fan like myself, the tournament this year doesn't have anything going for it really. There isn't that absolute Cinderella team that made it out of the first weekend into the Sweet 16. Sure, Arizona is a 12 seed, but c'mon--it's Arizona! This is a team that has had some recent success in men's basketball. It has been in the Sweet 16 nine of the last 16 years and in the Elite 8 six of those times. It's a high seed, but it's no Cinderella. And if you eliminate them, the next lowest seed is the 5th seeded Purdue. There's just not a lot of drama left.

In the first two rounds I watched about an hour of basketball total, most of it at the end of the day Sunday when three potential upsets were all happening at the same time. But other than that, it hasn't been worth it.

And I'm certainly not interested in UK's quest to win the title of "66th Best Team in the Nation!"

I think I'd rather watch NASCAR. Or professional wrestling. Or reality TV.

Or maybe I should find a good book.

No comments: