Thursday, March 26, 2009

Our Failing Schools

I was flabbergasted by this little tidbit:

Yesterday I was talking with someone about what would be the most popular searches on the Internet right now. After we talked, I went online to see what actually WERE the most popular searches. One of the pages I visited was ask.com's page that lists the most popular searches for the last week (Here's the link, but unless you're reading it today you may find that the results have changed). Several of the items on the page didn't surprise me at all. If I thought about it for a while I think I would have guessed that Facebook and MySpace would be #1 and #2. I also wouldn't be surprised that the fastest rising search would be "Natasha Richardson" or "March Madness."

What DID baffle me was #6 on the most popular searches for the week: "How to get pregnant." What? Are we failing our students that much! It seems to me that humans for all time have been able to figure this one out without even trying. We have people going to the Internet to find out this information? And there are more people trying to figure it out than are looking for ebay or Craig's List?* Are our schools teaching children NOTHING anymore?

Weird.
----------------
*What's even weirder is that there are dozens of webpages out there with that exact title!

No comments: