As I said, I've seen those signs before (I couldn't help it. They're all over the place), but today I was struck by a couple of things:
1) What in the world was going ON in Covington to get these signs put up? I mean, I'm sure pretty much every city in the United States has an ordinance against loud noises and being a public nuisance. Why did Covington feel the need to post such a law? Were people walking the streets blowing air horns? Were people mounting jet engines onto the back of their vehicles and driving around waking up people? Was this a backlash against really bad Christmas carolers?
I'm not sure what the reason was, but I'm pretty sure that there had to be something that precipitated the posting of the signs, and I'm pretty sure that--whether they had to quit or not--the people who caused the posting of the sign had to feel proud about the impact they made (unless it really WAS the Christmas carolers. They probably were really embarassed and ashamed and now have to relive that shame every day).
2) Don't post negative behaviors that you don't want people to do. This is a rule that all first year education students in college are taught...because posting negative behaviors actually encourages them. I had no desire to make any loud noises until I saw that sign today, and then I really had to hold back the urge to open my window and just start shouting, or maybe roll down my windows and turn my stereo up just a little bit.
So if you ever read this in the Covington police reports in the newspaper, you'll know why:
ARRESTED: Fort Mitchell male, 40, standing on street corner on 4th and Russell St., with microphone and amplifier. Suspect was holding microphone too close to amplifier, causing high pitched whining sound. When questioned, suspect said the signs made him to it. Taken to hospital for psychological observation.
No comments:
Post a Comment