Wednesday, June 4, 2008

What was THAT?

I tell you what, Hillary Clinton never ceases to amaze me. Barack Obama clinched the Democratic Party nomination last night, and I stayed up past my bedtime (Yes, I have the bedtime of an average 8 year old, the result of "summer hours" at the Board of Education, which begin at 7 AM) to see what kind of speech Hillary would give. I expected one of two things: 1) "I want to congratulate Senator Obama on clinching the Democratic nomination tonight, and I want to announce that I will end/suspend/whatever my campaign for the nomination." OR 2) "I do NOT accept the common belief that Senator Obama has clinched the Democratic nomination tonight! Superdelegates are free to change their minds between now and Denver, and I'm going to spend the next two months convincing them all that I am the better candidate! And we're going to go to the Credentials Committee and fight for the right to seat EVERY delegate!" I was expecting the first to happen, and afraid that the second might.

But that speech last night was...what? It hardly mentioned Obama, and it certainly seemed to sound like a concession speech as she thanked all of her supporters for their work and she made statements something to the effect of "We fought a hard campaign" and "I've always tried to do what's best for the American people." But then she didn't quit! She said, "This is a long campaign, and I will be making no decisions tonight!" Uh, Hillary, it's not your decision to make. It was the American people (or at least, the American people who could vote in the Democratic primaries) who made the decision, and it wasn't you.


Her speech was just kind of shocking to me. It would be as if Tom Brady, in the locker room after the New York Giants had just upset his Patriots, when interviewed, had said, "We're down, but we're going to pick ourselves up. And we need our fans to write in and let us know if we should go back out there and WIN this game!"

The game is over.

So the video below pretty much sums up how I feel about Hillary Clinton. It may take a while to load, but wait for it. It's worth it.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the video! The girl stumbled over her line, though.