
It was really amazing how much the death of Tim Russert mattered to Lisa and me. We didn't know him personally; yet we felt like we did. We only saw him occasionally; yet the death felt very personal to us. It must speak something to the authenticity of the man. He seemed like a real person to me, and a genuinely nice person. He was always fair to the politicians on MEET THE PRESS, and he never seemed to punch below the belt or take the cheap question. He asked the questions that I would have asked had I been sitting in his chair, and he asked them better than I would have. He will be missed.
Over the weekend I was amazed by the outpouring of emotion for the guy. His life was the ONLY topic on MSNBC all weekend, and even George Stephanopolis's show on competing ABC led off with a tribute. I saw a segment on CNN about it as well. I couldn't believe that the death of a journalist was getting so much attention, and I couldn't believe people all over the USA felt so strongly about the man.
And yet I watched the coverage and felt the same way. I found out about his death Saturday morning, and Lisa and I watched a couple of hours of coverage on his death Saturday and then again on Sunday. And I like him better after those four hours than I did before watching them.
He will be missed in this house.
No comments:
Post a Comment