Saturday, November 14, 2009

Someone Turn the Station!

I was driving back to work yesterday afternoon from a meeting that I had in Owenton when I heard the song below on the radio.

Wow.

The song's not all that new. I think it's maybe a year and a half old, and I'd heard it once it before, I think, but it had been in the background in a restaurant where I was with other people, and I didn't have a chance to focus on it like I did yesterday when I was alone in the car.

Wow.

I absolutely HATE this song.

And I'm not using that word lightly. I don't just dislike the song. It doesn't just bother me a little. I HATE it. If I could meet the bandmembers who wrote and recorded it, I'm pretty sure I'd punch them.

I'm not sure what it is about this song, but it's like fingernails on a chalkboard for me. Maybe it's the singer's voice, which reminds me of the lead singer of the Pet Shop Boys, a band that I hated back in the '80's.  Maybe it's the repetition of the words "You Gotta Spend some Time, Love" over and over throughout the song with exactly the same pitch, a sort of hellish ostinato.  Maybe it's just the sophomoric lyrics. I don't know. But I hated the song so much that I felt like I ought to share it...



(I can't see the video.)

No comments: