Tuesday, June 2, 2009

A Couple of Smart Kids

Last night was 6th grade graduation at Meredith's school, so the whole family walked up to the school for the ceremony. In addition to receiving diplomas, the ceremony also functioned as Honors Night for the 6th graders. And Meredith cleaned up.

A year ago I wrote about attending Honor's Day for Meredith and Natalie last year, and how I worried what would happen if one of them hadn't receive an award. I mentioned in that article a great line I had in the event that one of the girls DIDN'T get an award. Well, bewteen the 2 of them there have been 12 of these things now, and I still haven't gotten  to use that line. 

Last night Meredith received the following awards
  • Creative Writing
  • The Class Social Studies award
  • The Class Science award (The Golden Test Tube)
  • The Class Mathematics award
  • The All "A" Honor Roll
  • The President's Academic Achievement Award
The last award was presented as a certificate signed by Meredith's principal, superintendent, and President Barack Obama. I kind of felt bad for the other kids in her class. She literally was given half of the awards last night for her class. At the end of the ceremony the guy in front of us, a friend, whose daughter was also in Meredith's class, turned and said, "SOME kids hogged all of the awards from every one else."

If it sounds like I'm bragging, I guess I am. I'm VERY proud of her. 

Natalie, I think, was just a tiny bit jealous. I reminded her that a) she had just finished 19th in the world in Iowa, and that b) she had been in Iowa last Thursday when HER class had its Honors Day. On that day Natalie also won several awards:
  • Perfect attendance
  • Creative Writing
  • All "A" Honor Roll
And that's nothing to sneeze at.

I can't begin to tell you how blessed I feel to have children who are so academically strong. I know that, based on how I squandered my academic skills as a child, I don't deserve it. 

Must all be coming from Lisa's side.

Anyway, in addition to the nuclear family being there, Meredith's Grandma Myra and Aunt Judy were there, too. They and Meredith and Lisa and Natalie can be seen in the photo above. 

1 comment:

Building The Willys said...

Good Parents make good children, reach around and pat yourself of the back! NOW!!!