Saturday, June 27, 2009

My Broken Appetite

When it comes to controlling one's weight, one of the most important things is knowing when one is full and when to push away from the table. And I have to say that, for the most part, I'm at least okay at this. Just because a restaurant gives me a 3,000 calorie meal I don't feel obligated to eat everything. I don't have any shame about asking for a "To Go" box.

But there is one food in which, apparently, my ability to tell when I'm full absolutely fails me, and that is with milkshakes. I don't know if it is some neonatal reflex to suck or what, but once I wrap my lips around the straw of a milkshake I just go to town and don't stop until I hear that sad, sad slurping sound at the bottom of the shake.

And that's why--when I order a milkshake at a restaurant--I always order the smallest size. Because I know I'm not going to stop until it's gone. And it doesn't matter how much is in the shake--I'm going to be unhappy when it's gone. I honestly think you could give me a milkshake in a container the size of a kitchen garbage can I'd just keep sucking until the whole thing was gone.

Milkshakes are sort of my diet kryptonite.

No comments: