Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The Last Day

Today is the last day for me. The last day of my "summer break" before returning to a 5 day a week, Monday through Friday work schedule. For all of the people out there who think that educators need to shut up about their low salaries because they get June, July, and August off, I'm here to tell you that ain't the case. Sure, I'm not your typical classroom teacher, and I work several weeks a year more than the average teacher, but even the average classroom teachers are not off in the summer. They're at workshops, professional developments, taking classes for their continuing education, teaching summer school, designing new curricula with fellow teachers. They're hard at work. They're not just sitting by the pool somewhere lounging for 2 1/2 months.

It DID used to be that way. I know. I'm starting my 20th year in education, and I think my entire career has seen the transformation of education into what it is becoming and what it will continue to become: a data driven business.

Anyway, I'm not here to write about education. I just wanted to say that I hope no one from work emails me today with an emergency situation. If they do, I might not reply until I'm behind my desk tomorrow morning. I might not even carry my cell with me today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Teachers are so OVERPAID. Lets see how dat be i knows how ta figa causing i's gut a offspring dat knows mat and numbas and stuf. A classromm has about 25 students for 7 hours a day. A babysitter gits (showing minimal education but you knows what gits means) $2.00 per hour per child. Sooooo that would be 2 times 7 times 25 er lets see carry the 4 and shazam they make $350 per day times 5 is $1750 per week times 52 is $91,000 per year but the teachers trick you (as all of dem do triing to teach ya sumting) and only work 40 weeks a year so divide da 91,000 by 40 and shazam again (i's remumba dat is let me see a numba repeeted is ahh shazam squared or sumting like dat but i's rememba da again part betta dan da square part, you see ma teacha said once dat pie are squared, i's told she no pie are round, conbred ar square); dey are makin $2,275 per week or $455 per day or $65 per hor or $2.60 per student. Dis is what I's neva cud figa out; why's do dey go to da big schule down souse when deys end up babysittas? And dees are da teachas, only God knows dose technies make!!

bsweasy said...

Wow, Prentiss. I almost understood that.

The scary thing is that it probably makes absolute sense to a lot of people!